I am a Who Dat!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Focus on the BIGGER HealthCARE Picture

Insurance is only a small part of the problem. The bigger issue is ACCESS to care. Which is the real challenge of preventive and primary care. Lot's of people have coverage, and still cannot get care, because of lack of medical personnel, the attack on the nurse practitioner (including midwifery), and advanced or modern facilities. Even those who do not have coverage, still in an emergency get CARE, IF THEY CAN GET TO IT.

A few years ago, I suffered a miscarriage. I had EXCELLENT INSURANCE. however the town where I live although has many doctors and hospitals, only one facility has an OB/GYN unit and a handful of OB/GYNs and only one taking new patients, after a 5 week wait list. There are many places across America with this same phenomenon.

I like to say that Health care today, is lacking localized medicine, and like WALMART has killed the neighborhood retailer and grocer, BIG BOX hospitals with its Hospitalists have killed the neighbood clinic! A Hospitalist, is a hospital employed doctor, so instead of having his own practice, 0r is a partner in a practice of other doctors, this doctor just gets a salary from the Hospital. In this model, the hospital worries with the basic business operations of insurance, billing, staffing, etc. related to caring for the patient. It is not necessarily like a HMO, but could at times feel like one. This model is encouraged by the lack of tort reform. Without that, then the malpractice insurance makes it unsustainable for the local health care facilities to exist.

So can we please get back to the issue of CARE, and ask our elected officials how is providing insurance going to fix this umbrella problem!!!

My $ 0.02

Tanya Callaway Crews

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would take some serious rangling, but my only concern with health care is that I can't afford it. I dont want government sponsored health care. I just ask that the insurance companies lower their rates so I can purchase it from them. I am a retired veteran but the VA, well, they stink. I would like to have a backup health insurance plan to cover both myself and my wife. We'll see what happens but I'm not for Demo-Care.

Unknown said...

Healthcare ham it's the core matter that everyone should give the focus on it..
Carol
Professional Monitering security systems for Homes, Offices & Appartments